Horses, Humans & Habitat
CANA Foundation advocates for wild horses as essential to ecological & spiritual balance.
CANA Foundation is a 501 (c)3 New York-based rewilding organization.
CANA Foundation’s re-wilding initiatives foster community empowerment, land conservation and the sustainable management and preservation of America’s wild horse populations.
CANA Foundation rescues, re-wilds, and re-homes wild horses in order to improve their quality of life and ensure that they can live with dignity in a protected habitat, free from the risk of slaughter and out of Bureau of Land Management (BLM) holding facilities.
These initiatives simultaneously provide humanitarian incentives to the communities that welcome them home, while also empowering those with the knowledge and understanding of natural law and the original creation to become rightful stewards once again.
RE-WILDING represents the belief that through protection of our indigenous species, conservation of our land and natural resources, and reconnecting to our native cultural heritage and traditions we can restore balance to our environment and our selves. Rewilding responsibly supports harmony between humans, plants, and animals that encourages a beneficial and thriving ecosystem for today and tomorrow.
CANA Foundation Initiatives work through a combination of grants, advocacy efforts, public awareness campaigns and large scale media initiatives.
We invite you to learn more about our projects and initiatives below and encourage you to become inspired and join the movement to rewild our world.
CANA’s Non Partisan, Long Term, Sustainable Rewilding Initiatives:
- Rescue, rewild and rehome America’s wild horses held in taxpayer funded holding facilities and at risk of roundups.
- Save and repurpose tax dollars in a more humane and considerate way.
- Conserves and protects large tracts of American landscapes and habitats.
- Work with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) to relieve the overcrowding of horses in holding pens.
- Unites native horses with native communities
- Native people can reconnect with their traditional ways and culture through the presence of the wild horse energy.
- Empower those with the knowledge and understanding of natural law and the original creation to become rightful stewards once again.
- Assist in creating opportunities & humanitarian initiatives for local communities that welcome horses onto their land:
- Economic and Social Development Opportunities
- Job Training Opportunities
- Cultural Awareness Programs
- Healthcare Initiatives
- Organic Farming Initiatives
- Environmentally Friendly and Sustainable Commerce Projects
Galloping To Freedom: Saving The Adobe Town Appaloosas
Discover the story of how CANA Foundation teamed up with our partner and acclaimed photographer Carol Walker to reunite a band of horses separated by the infamous BLM 2014 Checkerboard Roundup.
Re-igniting Horse Culture in Native Communities
This project, currently spearheaded by artist, activist and CANA Foundation ambassador Moses Brings Plenty addresses the controversial “overpopulation” of America’s wild horses through a unique rewilding opportunity.
CANA works to transport wild horses from BLM holding pens and places them on granted native lands to provide environmental, cultural and economic benefits to the local communities.
Prayer Keepers Sage Bundling Project
CANA Foundation’s Prayer Keepers project aims to reconnect native communities with their cultural and spiritual heritage while providing employment opportunities on reservations.
Native grandmothers (often times with the assistance of their daughters or granddaughters) collect, bundle and bless these sage smudge sticks by hand in the traditional fashion passing on this important cultural and spiritual knowledge to younger generations.
Treat the earth, and all creatures great and small, with respect.
Remain close to your inner purpose.
Show great consideration for your fellow beings.
Work together for the benefit of all mankind.
Give assistance and kindness wherever needed.
Do what you know to be intuitively correct.
Look after the well being of your mind and body.
Dedicate a share of your efforts to the greater good, “Pay it forward.”
Be truthful and honest with yourself at all times.
Take full responsibility for your actions.